29 November 2008

Followup: Pray the Devil Back to Hell

You can read my review of the documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell here. The film is the story of modern-day Liberia, a country with a volatile and fascinating history. Yesterday I was listening to NPR and I heard an interview with Helene Cooper, who was describing her childhood growing up as part of the wealthy "ruling class" of Liberia. If you are interested in learning more about the history of Liberia (a country that was colonized by freed black American former-slaves, some of whom went on to enslave Africans, in the early 1800s), you can listen to Cooper's interview here. Her book, The House at Sugar Beach, is now on my to-read list. When I get around to it, I'll let you know how I like it--but based off this interview, I have a feeling I'll like it a lot.

No comments: